Pianist Eric Mintel (in photo), tenor saxophonist/flutist Don Braden, and guitarist Charlie Apicella will be among the jazz artists appearing at Westfield, NJ’s Sweet Sounds Downtown Music Festival this summer.
Here is the lineup:
- July 5: Eric Mintel
- July 12: Vocalist Carrie Jackson
- July 19: Saxophonist Bradford Hayes
- July 26: Guitarist Joe Taino
- August 2: Don Braden, drummer Karl Latham and Big Fun(k)
- August 9: Charlie Apicella and Iron City
- August 16: Trumpeter Gordon James
- August 23: Drummer Mauricio de Souza
Braden was the subject of Jersey Jazz’s “Talking Jazz” feature in the June 2022 issue. Apicella was featured in the May 2022 issue of Jersey Jazz in connection with his May appearance in the “Jazz on a Sunday Afternoon” series at the Jay and Linda Grunin Center for the Arts in Toms River, NJ. Mintel appeared in the JOSA series in December 2021 in a tribute to Dave Brubeck’s centennial birthday, delayed a year by the pandemic.
Music is played at three different locations in downtown Westfield, from 7-9 p.m. The jazz performances are at 137 Central Ave., in front of The Turning Point restaurant. If it rains, the performances are held the following night. For more information, log onto WestfieldToday.com or call (908) 789-9444.