Are you a current member of NJJS and a musician? Do we have you listed on our “Member Musicians” page with a link to your website or professional page? Please email firstname.lastname@example.org so that we can update our webpage with your details.
Our September issue of Jersey Jazz is out - do you have your copy?
- After a summer break, please join us for our member social on September 25th – but please note the change in venue (for this particular event) to the Hibiscus Restaurant in Morristown’s Best Western Inn.
- So how are you enjoying summer – did you manage to get to any of the jazz festivals in and around New Jersey, or were you lucky enough to travel to the Newport Jazz Festival (our cover story)? George Wein, who founded this festival in 1954, and has been presenting it every year since then, has only now handed the reigns over. Bassist Christian McBride will be artistic director next year, and longtime Wein assistant Danny Melnick will be producer – an amazing run for Wein who is now 90. Sandy Ingham’s report will bring the performances of Anat Cohen, Henry Butler, Jimmy Heath, Charles Lloyd and many others to life for you.
- Do you live in or near Mercer County? We co-sponsor all the jazz events (many per month) at the 1867 Sanctuary in Ewing, and NJJS members receive $5 discount. Check the calendar for upcoming events!
- Bassist Noriko Ueda is Schaen Fox’s interviewee this month. She has played for drummer Sherrie Maricle’s DIVA bands (and arranged for them too) for many years, and has also been a member of pianist Ted Rosenthal’s trio. Perhaps you’ve seen her play with the New Jersey Symphony Orchestra at NJPAC and also at the Frank Wess Quintet Concert. Read all about her transition from piano to bass, and her relocation from Japan to the USA.
- The Rochester and Syracuse jazz festivals, with among others Chick Corea and Trombone Shorty Andrews, respectively, in attendance, are wonderfully profiled and photographed by Mitchell Seidel – after reading, you might want to save these dates on next year’s calendar.
- Joe Lang has reviewed a number of jazz CDs for our listening pleasure – there’s something for everyone, and it’s not too soon to start stockpiling holiday gifts for jazz lovers!
In addition to this brief taster, there are many other interesting pieces in this month’s issue, as well as ads for dozens of opportunities to enjoy live jazz in New Jersey and its surrounds. To receive your copy of the Jersey Jazz Journal, and to take advantage of other benefits including discount admission to events, become a member by clicking on the Membership tab above!